Grade 7 LA - Marking Period 4
We are currently :
* reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - a novel about racism
* reading non-fiction informational articles and learning how to write answers to open-ended questions
* free-writing and learning how to draft a persuasive paragraph
* continuing to strengthen critical thinking by answering thought questions
* reinforcing grammar skills to strengthen the quality of sentences/paragraphs
* continuing to discuss the use of higher-level vocabulary for both reading/writing purposes
* Using technology to enhance the learning process - from class novel audiobooks ( esl-bits.net) and ( archive.org) to language arts practice websites such as IXL. Kahoot and Quizizz that allow students to reinforce various topics to prepare for tests/quizzes. Readworks and Newsela provide reading text passages to strengthen various comprehension and writing skills.
All of these activities will address reading + writing together. Remember that the key to writing is being able to first, think about what is going to be written using a web model, or outline. Then, you will be given a guide to use that will teach you how to form each paragraph. A sample essay written by me will help model what your piece should look like. Last, you will proofread your essay to ensure everything is well placed. In other words, you will follow the writing process as you write.