Welcome to Grade 7 Language Arts class!!
We are currently :
* reading/analyzing our 1st class novel - Where the Red Fern Grows.
* free-writing in a daily journal and keeping a 1st person narrative account of our class novel to show we understand the text. The students "become" the main character, Billy, and write down main events as they happen in each chapter.
* strengthening critical thinking by answering thought questions
* studying subjects and predicates of sentences in an effort to write complete sentences
* discussing the use of higher-level vocabulary for both reading/writing purposes
* studying/analyzing a model example of a personal narrative before we start writing our own
* practicing for the PARCC beginning in September and building upon different skills with a review of all the lessons in the Spring.
All of these activities will address reading + writing together. Remember that the key to writing is being able to first, think about what is going to be written using a web model, or outline. Then, you will be given a guide to use that will teach you how to form each paragraph. A sample essay written by me will help model what your piece should look like. Last, you will proofread your essay to ensure everything is well placed. In other words, you will follow the writing process as you write.
Please be prepared to learn...I will challenge you every day.
All of my students should bring a pencil to class every single day!