Grade 7 Language Arts Class ~ Marking Period 3
We are currently :
* having a book test on the novel we have finished, Where the Red Fern Grows.
The next book we will cover is Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* free-writing in a daily journal and learning how to begin a draft of a research essay.
* continuing to strengthen critical thinking by answering thought questions
* reinforcing grammar skills to strengthen the quality of sentences/paragraphs
* continuing to discuss the use of higher-level vocabulary for both reading/writing purposes
* continuing to practice for the PARCC and building upon different skills with a review of all the lessons in the Spring.
* Using technology to enhance the learning process - from PARCC online ( parcc.pearson.org) (redshelf.com to use the workbook online) to class novel audiobooks ( esl-bits.net) to language arts practice websites such as IXL. Kahoot and Quizizz allow students to reinforce various topics to prepare for tests/quizzes. Readworks and Newsela provide reading text passages to strengthen various comprehension and writing skills.
All of these activities will address reading + writing together. Remember that the key to writing is being able to first, think about what is going to be written using a web model, or outline. Then, you will be given a guide to use that will teach you how to form each paragraph. A sample essay written by me will help model what your piece should look like. Last, you will proofread your essay to ensure everything is well placed. In other words, you will follow the writing process as you write.
Students - Please be prepared to learn...I will challenge you every day.
All of my students should bring a pencil to class every single day!