|Welcome to Joyce Kilmer School
The goal of our school is to provide opportunities for all students. We offer many programs, clubs, activities and sports at Joyce Kilmer.
We pledge equal access to a learning environment for all students and employees that supports diversity and equality regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, or disability. Milltown supports the hiring and advancement of all populations. Milltown is an equal opportunity employer.
|Morning Drop Off Procedures
In an effort to first, keep our students safe during morning drop off, and to expedite everyone’s process as we all know how valuable our morning minutes are, it is imperative to follow the standard drop off procedures that are already in place when it comes to dropping off our students in the morning.
As a reminder to these procedures that are outlined in the Parent, Pupil, and Staff Handbook on page 81, please review and adhere to the following:
· When dropping off your children, we encourage you to pull past the crossing guard and the cones located directly across from the library. The reason for this is because if cars begin to stop prior to this point in the street, the traffic begins to back up on West Church Street, and in turn, on to Main Street. Additionally, students dropped off before the crosswalk will walk across the school parking lot in order to get to the school building which is prohibited, and a serious safety concern as there are cars entering and leaving the parking lot at that time.
· After pulling up to an open area on the school side of the street (never the left of the street as we do not want students crossing the street unless using the crosswalk), let your children out of the car and immediately proceed to leave down West Church Street. The reason for this is to again avoid the buildup of traffic along West Church Street, and to expedite the drop off process for everyone involved. Waiting with your child in the car causes major delays and can indirectly cause alternate drop off areas which is also a serious safety concern. In the event that you pull over to drop off your children on the left side of the street, be sure to have your children walk to the crossing guard near the library to cross the street. NEVER HAVE YOUR CHILD RUN ACROSS THE STREET WHEN DROPPING OFF ON THE LEFT SIDE OF WEST CHURCH STREET. We strongly encourage dropping off on the school side (right side) of West Church Street to avoid this issue.
Please also refer to the rainy and cold weather procedures located below where we highlight the process of allowing students to enter the building at 8:25 am, as opposed to 8:35 am. Students dropped off at the proper time will not be left outside as during the winter months, and when there is inclement weather, students enter the building at 8:25 am and are supervised in the gymnasium until 8:35 am when they are released to class.
Please pass this information along to anyone responsible for dropping off your children in the morning. It is important that grandparents, friends, babysitters, guardians, and anyone dropping off your children in the morning are aware of these procedures as they are major safety concerns for our students, and major time issues for all of those involved in the process.
Should anyone have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Veit here at school, and he will be happy to assist.
|Rainy / Bad Weather Entrance Procedures
The following are important reminders in the event of inclement weather during morning drop off:
- As on regular weather days, students are permitted on school grounds at 8:30 am.
- Staff will be on duty at their respective doors at 8:25 am to allow entry for students arriving before normal entry time. However, It is imperative, particularly on inclement weather days, that students arrive at the normal time as staff becomes available for outdoor supervision, or in this case, bad weather supervision, at 8:25 am. Students arriving at 8:25 am will be directed to the gym where they will be housed until 8:35 am. At 8:35 am they will proceed to their lockers and then on to homeroom. This provides a 10 minute (8:25 am – 8:35 am) courtesy supervision period for students arriving early on bad weather days.
- Students will enter through their normal entrance doors.
- Grades 4 & 5 – Entrance near school office
- Grade 6 – Entrance near the new main entrance
- Grades 7 and 8 – Entrance near the media center
- As on regular weather days, students arriving after 8:35 am will report to the main entrance.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. The health and safety of our students is paramount to the school and to our students’ academic well being. This is the best way we can provide the proper and appropriate supervision to our students while keeping their health and safety in mind on bad weather mornings. Your assistance in this effort is very much appreciated.
October 14 Pink Day - Wear Pink
* Donate $1.00 for the cure for Breast Cancer
October 21 Fall Colors - Wear orange, yellow, red, brown or white
October 28 Halloween Celebration - Wear orange and black
November 4 Red, White, & Blue Day - In honor of Veterans Day
November 11 School Closed
November 18 Jersey Day - Wear a sports jersey or something representing NJ
|Before and After School Clubs
Early Morning Library and After School clubs are available during the school year. Students attending the library club must sign in at the main entrance between 8:00 am and 8:15 am. Library club is open to all JK students and is available every day. Homework Club will be available Tuesday through Thursday. Students participating in homework club on Tuesdays will report to the Media Center. Students reporting to homework club on Wednesdays will report to Mr. Eckert’s room 212, and those coming to homework club on Thursdays will report to Mrs. Moskovich's room 131. Homework club is also open to all JK students, and reminder announcements as to homework club’s location will be made daily in our morning announcements.
Library club is an opportunity for students to come and quietly read, study, and finalize homework before the school day begins. Students can read and peruse the books, but they are not permitted to check out books during morning library club.
Homework club provides an opportunity for students to work on their homework in a quiet and supervised environment in a classroom after school for one hour. All students are dismissed from Homework Club at 4:00 p.m. If a student needs to leave earlier than 4:00, a parent / guardian must sign the student out at the Joyce Kilmer Main Entrance.
Please be advised that all other before/after school clubs, and before/after school academic assistance opportunities will begin in the coming weeks. A schedule will be posted under the "school forms" tab when available.
To access the Suggested Summer Reading List:
Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB)
Milltown Board of Education - Harassment, Intimidation, Bullying and Hazing Policy File 5131.1
Parkview Anti-Bullying Specialist
Mrs. Jennifer Pinnella
More HIB information is available under the Information link at the top of the page.
The official District and School Grade Report issued by the NJDOE is posted below.
While completing the Self-Assessment for the 2014-2015 school year, we learned that our school district has demonstrated strengths in the following areas:
§ HIB Programs, Approaches or Other Initiatives
§ HIB Personnel
§ School-Level HIB Incident Reporting Procedures
§ HIB Reporting
Copyright © 2016 Joyce Kilmer School